[lbo-talk] Re: Instinct

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Dec 1 22:52:58 PST 2005

> 3. The idea that natural selection only works at the individual level
> (if traits undermine an individual's fecundity, they will be selected
> out of the gene pool) is mercilessly ridiculed by serious evolutionary
> theorists. A characteristic could enhance the reproductive success at
> a super-individual level (group, subspecies), and thus survive in a
> species, even if it reduces population fecundity at the individual level.

In fact, it could be argue that having some part of the population not be completely engrossed in child raising, but having time and energy to devote to the welfare of the group as a whole, might be evolutionarily advantageous. Humans are social animals and can survive only as social animals. Limiting the reproductive activities of a few could well be an advantage for the group.

I am not saying this because I think homosexuality (exclusive/or not) needs to be justified, but simply to support the assertion above.

Joanna