[lbo-talk] Copyrights and the Cultural Revolution

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Dec 2 07:13:49 PST 2005

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>BTW, this list would be a far more useful tool for a social change if it
>provided practical hints how to subvert the global monopoly capital - i.e.
>how to avoid paying various premiums it imposes on us - instead of, or
>perhaps in addition to, spinning wheels on counterculture and theoretical.
>The practical hints on the draconian bankruptcy laws posted to this list are
>a good model. We need more of it - e.g. links to websites selling
>bootlegged products or containing advice how to avoid paying various
>premiums, interests, fees, taxes, etc. All of it is legal as long as no
>verbiage actually encouraging these practices is present.

Amen, brother!

I'd like to add just two things to your wonderful post:

1. It's worthwhile to repeat often what Woj says about Intellectual Property rights; at best, it is always about protecting the owners of the intellectuals not brain workers themselves. Recast as monopoly rights always! Oh, and wonderful Hitler quote!!!!

2. Note how the phrase "Intellectual Property" reinforces the age old prejudice favoring brain over physical work as a source of value. Useful, since managers/workers don't hoist anything other than their overinflated egos.

Joanna