[lbo-talk] The Working-Poor Draft

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 2 08:16:39 PST 2005

--- Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote: Venting of popular frustrations, which were very intense. My grandma who remembered pre-revolutionary times told me that peasant violence was directed at about everyone they could put their hands on. She told me a story about someone of an upper class origin who was separated from a hunting party and run into an angry peasant mob - the police later could not even recognize his body.

---

Yes, actually although the pogroms are remembered as being "anti-Jewish," they were really against a larger group of hated targets -- university students (including seminary students), people with education in general, people with money. Stepanov gives a breakdown of victims of the 1905 pogroms by nationality in his book on the Black Hundreds -- Jews came to about 50% of the total.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

__________________________________________ Yahoo! DSL – Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less. dsl.yahoo.com