[lbo-talk] The Working-Poor Draft

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 2 09:36:17 PST 2005

> Brockes exact quote: [the pogroms were] "not very
> bad, by
> contemporary standards. In the worst of the major
> massacres, I think
> about 49 people were killed."
>
> So is he wrong?
>
> Doug

I'll look it up when I get home. If memory serves (I'm assuming that by "massacre" he means "number killed in a single city," that is the "Odessa 1905 pogrom" or the "Kiev 1905 pogrom," rather than the whole "1905 pogrom," or a single massacre within a one-city pogrom), I think his figure is a bit low (but not astronomically).

But anyway he's talking off the top of his head and the guy is not a historian of Imperial Russia.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

__________________________________________ Yahoo! DSL – Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less. dsl.yahoo.com