[lbo-talk] Question re: Religion vs "spirituality"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Dec 2 15:07:08 PST 2005

Julio Huato wrote:

> I don't think it's possible to discuss what Engels called the
> "fundamental philosophical problem" and completely avoid Godelian
> undecidabilities. To paraphrase my daughter: "You can't prove that
> God doesn't exist, because I can always place God's existence beyond
> the reach of your argument." But let me state my *opinion* anyway:

Why would one want to prove that god doesn't exist. I have no desire to prove that that 30 pound snail crouching on your computer monitor doesn't exist. And you would have a hard time proving that it did-- you would even have a hard time getting me to listen to you trying to prove that it did; you would have harder time yet trying to get me to listen to your argument of why I should listen to your argument that I should consider your argument that the snail exists.

Ditto God. I will only listen seriously to arguments that assume no god exists, just as I will only listen seriously to arguments that assume there is no 30 pound snail on your monitor.

Carrol