Humpty-Dumpty Theory of Language, was Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Instinct

W. Kiernan wkiernan at ij.net
Fri Dec 2 17:23:48 PST 2005

Michael Hirsch wrote:

> mine all seem to have the same problem with "brief"

> and "debrief"...

...well that's kinda obvious ain't it? "Debrief" is where you take them off.

boddi satva wrote:

> > Dick Lodge wrote:

> > so what's gender again? what is a man. what is a woman.

that's even more obvious, for example somebody named "Dick Lodge" gots to be a dude, right?

> Man = XY karyotype

> Woman = XX karyotype

True but if I ever met a guy who had undergone a sex-change operation, I'd feel obliged to call her "her," karyotype or no. She'd have earned that, with that scalpel and all (jibbly jibbly jibbly...)

Yours WDK - WKiernan at ij.net