Humpty-Dumpty Theory of Language, was Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Instinct

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 02:08:11 PST 2005

You are consistently over-reacting because you think any biological notion at all will necessarily result in sexism and homophobic nonsense. But you don't get to a realistic notion of gender by over-reacting.

Okay, if social "gender" means "ideas we apply to sex [biological gender]" then so be it. But what that means to me is that the only reasonable definition of gender is the biological one. If being good at math was a "gender difference" did that mean that women who actually were good at math were less than female? Or was there a special "women good at math" gender. I don't think so, so what you're saying is that performance on math was considered a gender difference but now it's not. But your construction assumes that biological gender is real and consistent and social gender is illusory.

But here's the thing, if linking math performance and biological gender was a false assumption of causality (we observe the social and assume the physical must cause it) then so must transsexuality imply a false causal link. If the assumption that being female caused poor math performance is not valid because it assumed a false causality then why assume that removing the observable social cues of maleness actually makes a person female. If you can't assume that the biological fact causes the observed social behavior then certainly you can't assume that altering what can be observed changes the biological fact.

So here's the thing, because I think we should be honest here. What people here are concerned about is how gay people and transsexuals are thought about. Okay, until very recently nobody would have accepted the proposition that you could turn a man into a woman. Now we do. But the idea of transsexuality came about at a time when genetics were not well-understood. So the idea that you could change a person's sex by applying all these neat hormones doctors had learned so much about at the time made sense. Well, does it still make sense? Or would it be better to broaden our notion of what each gender implies by limiting our definition of what gender is to what is knowable and consistent?

It seems to me that changing the social ideas that people associate with biological gender starts with the acknowledgement that biological gender exists and social gender is what we put on top of it, not by trying to say that biological gender is irrelevant. If saying someone is male or female implies no more about that person than karyotype, then we get rid of sexist notions altogether.

boddi