[lbo-talk] user fees for "knowledge products"

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Dec 4 08:43:01 PST 2005

> --- Travis Fast <tfast at yorku.ca> wrote:
>
> > Now if only stats can would make their data publicly
> > available sans the
> > per series fee!
>
> I know, it is annoying and they just introduced that only recently,
> no? I also understand that they do not have to do it to earn their
> upkeep, as they are more than adequately funded. Damn "neo-
> liberal" practices.
>
> Wojtek

User fees for "knowledge products" make particularly little sense. In the case of user fees for natural resources (water, road usage, etc.), maybe neoliberals can at least come up with "Green" economic rationales: the higher the fee, the more conservation. In the case of economic date (endlessly reproducible digitally), no such rationale can apply.

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>