[lbo-talk] Stalin, democrat

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 4 11:07:23 PST 2005

Putin's job was gathering intelligence in West Germany. He wasn't a secret policeman. I assume he thought of himself as a patriotic Soviet citizen protecting his country from the West. He says he was first drawn to the KGB by watching the movie "Sword and Shield" as a child. But since the KGB approached you for recruitment rather than vice versa, he went to university and then law school (or was that later? I know he has a Ph.D. in law.). Then the KGB recruited him as someone with talent. (If I remember the book of interviews with him that came out when he first became president correctly, that is.)