[lbo-talk] Stalin, democrat

Peter Lavelle untimely_thoughts at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 4 12:32:54 PST 2005

Sorry, I am way over the posting limit, but:

What difference does it make what Putin said in the 80s and 90s? What is important is what he has done and said in power. Putin is the most accidential leader of our time. He is a former KGB functionary and Bush Sr headed the CIA for a time - which one has shown himself to have a learning curve?????

Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote: Peter Lavelle wrote:

>Putin is on the record saying: "the outrageous price our country and
>people had to paid for that Bolshevist experiment" or calls
>communism a "road to a blind alley."

That's what he says now. What was he saying when he was in the KGB?

Boris Kagarlitsky said years ago that the old Soviet elite was a model of flexibility - they went from being Stalinists to social democrats to pure neoliberals in just a few years.