[lbo-talk] Honor Killing and Domestic Violence in Germany

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Tue Dec 6 03:10:37 PST 2005

Top part deleted for brevity:

leninology wrote:

The topic of Personal Status Law and the treatment of women merits particular attention: the Arab nationalist regimes which reformed the laws to improve the rights of women did so precisely by seeking endorsement from the ulama, deriving their decisions from ancient Sunna etc. The core texts in Islam - the Quran, hadiths, Prophetic Tradition and so on - are so indeterminate as to be susceptible to a variety of interpretations.

I don't mind directing you to my own piece on this topic:

http://leninology.blogspot.com/2005/12/sharia-law-and-assorted-bogey-men.html

Thanks leninology. I read it AND the comments. Interesting conflict of ideologies and nuance vis a vis the way Islam is intergrated within different States.

I stand by what I said previously though:

Mike Ballard wrote:

>As for Islam, culture and law, they seem to be way too intertwined for my
taste in many countries. But then, the bourgeois revolution and the separation of religion and the State has not quite been completed yet in many areas of the world.

Best, Mike B)

Read "The Perthian Brickburner": http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal

__________________________________________ Yahoo! DSL – Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less. dsl.yahoo.com