[lbo-talk] See Sandwichman in Pajamas!

Bitch | Lab info at pulpculture.org
Wed Dec 7 10:39:24 PST 2005

HA! It looks like PJ media used one of those "get a free link to your site' programs. They're called link farms. They exist for the sole purpose of linking to any site that wants a link -- since the number of sites that link to yours helps with your page rank at the search engines.

In exchange, you give them valuable information: an e-mail address, a web site address, etc. They sell that information to the spamdexers and spammers. spamdexers are the bots that drop comment spam. (What I can't figure out is why the comment spammers are dropping legit links. I guess they try to fool you on the first try? Dunno. Anyone know?)

You can sometimes see the 'front end' of a link farm at those sites that look like rilly rilly bad search engines. the ones you stumble over on a search for something, the ones you think, who the HELL would use this thing?

Those link farms are also fond of pulling content from LBO, mirroring it as "search engine results" on their page, as a kind of glue. I've stumbled across several of my LBO posts this way. 'Coz, as wrote to Max on the blog, it's all about Numbahz, baybee. It's all about the numbahz.

If you try too much of this stuff, though, Google will 'Sandbox' your site, refusing to index it. PJ media would hardly need to use a link farm, though, but who knows?

Are those from Max's logs, though? That's slightly different and may be from blogorama which seems to have turned into a blog link farm -- though I'm not getting these kinds of referrers.

And personally? PJ media's site sucks rocks. It has no pizzazz whatsoever. Nothing distinguishes it from any other blog out there. But worse, just no personality. You'd think with the name you could visually riff on pajamas so much, they wouldn't have that problem.

So, don't forget to send 'em Bitch's way when they need a design upgrade.