[lbo-talk] Harvey

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Wed Dec 7 11:17:19 PST 2005

Dwayne Monroe:

> When I wrote "...(spatio temporal successes such as
> Bangalore
> India notwithstanding)" I was thinking more of
> neoliberalism as expressed in the West. That is, the
> success of Indian firms such as Infosys and Wipro can
> be explained,

There is great deal of hype about Indian software industry, but it contributes less than 5 per cent of India's GDP. Of course, software exports are important for India's Balance of Payments position.

>at least in part, by the efforts of
> Western firms to recharge, maintain and/or enhance
> profitability by relocating - to whatever extent
> possible - domestically expensive job functions to
> lower cost/highly skilled regions.

This process will be extended to pharma and auto components sectors as well. The point to note is that exports are only 11% of India's GDP. Indian capitalism has grown largely through growth of domestic market, domestic savings and domestic investment.

> How this movement reflects upon the penetration (or
> lack thereof) of neoliberal techniques within India is
> unknown to me so I won't comment.

I don't know what people exactly mean by the term "neo liberal". But Indian state has always played a decisive role in capital accumulation.e.g. The role of state owned enterprises is decisive _even today_ in banking, insurance, steel, oil exploration, refining and marketing, coal mining, telecom, airlines, shipping, ports etc etc. Railways are completely owned by the state.

Ulhas