[lbo-talk] Brown White, Rich Poor

Ira Glazer ira at yanua.com
Wed Dec 7 14:52:06 PST 2005

The phenomenon of white people predominating in advertising images is widespread. It's certainly true in Peru (where my wife is from, and where I lived for a few years). There, the physical differences are not simply ones of color, but also of facial structure (given the large indigenous population). This issue is particularly salient in Brasil, which has more black (of African descent) people than any country on the planet, execpt for Nigeria, as well as large immigrant communities from throught the world (including the largest Japanese community outside of Japan). The number of ads in Brasil with blondes in them is truly amazing.

(A btw anecdote: During Bush's first term he met with president Cardoso of Brasil. Cardoso, before he became a water boy for IMF policies, had been a famous sociologist, mostly known for 'dependency theory', which dealt with relations between the third world and the hegemonic first world. In the meeting, Bush turned to Cardoso and said, "Do you have blacks, too?" Condi Rice was left to pick up the mess.)

This issue goes beyond simple images in advertising: the BBC has reported procedures to 'whiten' are the rage in Vietnam. This has been confirmed to me with regard to China, by a friend who has lived in Shanghai for seven years. There, he has told me, the lengths people have gone to to 'de-orientalize' can be quite extreme: he has told me about operations people have undertaken in order to lengthen their bones, thus trying to make them taller, and, therefore, more western in appearance.

However, the issue can be one of life and death. Martin Jacques, the former editor of Marxism Today, wrote an extraordinary aticle, The Global Hierarchy of Race, http://www.guardian.co.uk/print/0,3858,4757714-103677,00.html as a result of the death of his wife, who was Indian-Malaysian (her family was from India, but she was born and /or raised in Malaysia). His wife died, in Hong Kong, as a reult of medical negligence, that according to Jacques was caused by the lack of urgency in treating her because of her skin color. An almost exact scenario was related to me by my friend, Rafael, in Shanghai, who told me how he went to a hospital for a relatively minor matter, and was given immediate attention. Meanwhile, in the corridors there were people, who according to Rafael, were in very bad condition, and who were being ignored. My friend tried to tell the doctors that they should deal with the other patients first, as his condition was not urgent. They paid no attention to what he said. Rafael ascribed this in no uncertain terms to 'a hierarchy of race'. He added that a white westerner (from Europe or the U.S.) would have no doubt been given precedence over him, since he has latino features (he's Peruvian).

For a long time now I have been convinced that there is truly a global passport: one's skin color.