[lbo-talk] See Sandwichman in Pajamas!

Bitch | Lab info at pulpculture.org
Wed Dec 7 15:06:55 PST 2005

>If they don't mention me, why do they come up in my log as referrer?
>And how does it benefit them?
>

> >6 1275 0.35% http://www.google.com/search
> >7 1045 0.29% http://www.22teens.com/

OK, these are _your_ logs, not logs directly from PJ? If so, then you have what's called _referrer spam_.

There are a bunch of reasons why they do this. But, because your site is highly ranked (7), like my business site (a 6, high, only relatively, because of the kind of site the business site is), the referrer spammers like it.

When I first started seeing them on out site, they were referrers to the news page, which is a blog without the blog software. (Coming next week!). A dumb referrer spam bot, programmed only enough to 'know' that anysite.com/news/ might just contain a blog, just crawled the site, in order to accrue the benefits listed in the page below:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/referer_spam/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referer_spam

Ka-Ching! That'll be $40 bucks for the e-commerce lesson of the day! It's a dirty business.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org