[lbo-talk] War Pornography

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 18:24:58 PST 2005

Albasrah.net is a pro-Saddam Hussein newspaper/website.anti-allawi at yahoogroups.com list has posters who send translations of that crap. http://www.albasrah.net/images/picture/iraq_lion.jpg

http://www.fleshbot.com/archives/war-porn-and-propaganda-015907.php

In one of the strangest confluences of online media, wartime propaganda, and pornography ever, AVN cites a story by the archconservative World Net Daily which claims that two Arab media sources used photos from hardcore porn sites to substantiate reports of alleged American atrocities in Iraq. Got all that? We'll let you sort out the various agendas here yourself. (You can check out the hardcore sites by following the links in the AVN article, but be warned; Daze Reader, who shares our agenda of keeping your computer safe, reports that at least one of them will unload a Trojan to your machine.)

"GI Rape Photos Came from Porn Sites, Used for Propaganda: Report" (AVN - warning: some links in article may lead to Trojan-bearing sites) "Bogus GI rape photos used as Arab propaganda" (World Net Daily) "Violent porn site images mistaken for real war crimes" (Daze Reader) See also: "Arab anger at Iraq torture photos" (BBC)

Update One of the hardcore sites mentioned in the AVN and WND articles (IraqBabes.com) has been taken offline, as has the page on Albasrah.net which allegedly republished the staged porn photos; maybe someone can tell us whether the thumbnails in these screenshots look familiar? Screenshots of IraqBabes.com, 5/4/04

Update Nine of the photos on the Albasrah site were taken from IraqBabes.com. Thanks to Chris for sending us a cached copy of the page so we could see for ourselves (even if we kind of wish we hadn't).

Latest text