[lbo-talk] India in the Age of Neoliberalism

KJ kjinkhoo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 20:46:49 PST 2005

On 12/8/05, Willy Greenfields <filthydirtyunwashed at yahoo.com> wrote:

> >You think? White-ish people with roundish eyes are
> also popular
> >in Japanese advertising, no?
>
> I worked in Thailand for about a year. Same deal
> there, though my colleagues chalked it up to darker
> skin being associated w/ farm work and peasantry while
> lighter skin was associated somewhat with the local
> Thai-Chinese elite.

I think this last is just trying to put the 'best' -- class -- gloss on this penchant for whiteness. But I think it is a huge hangover from colonial rule and the all too evident deference shown white people, at least to their face -- and this runs the gamut from the rich to the poor.

Whitening cosmetics dominate the Asian cosmetics market -- if I recall, it accounts for some 60% of the cosmetics market. Along with this is the hair-colouring stuff. Sure, it used to be the case that henna -- a natural product -- was used for hair colouring, and for colouring nails. But now, it's hard to miss the hair-blonding -- which, at a glance, actually induces a response of malnourishment.

As for advertising, I think it's across the whole region -- except when ethnicity is the point of the ad -- that lighter, paler, so-called 'pan-Asian' features are the rule.

kj