[lbo-talk] Porn: By Men for Men

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 12:28:30 PST 2005

On Thursday, December 08, 2005 11:55 AM [PDT], Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Leigh Meyers wrote:
>
>> Sex IS a marketable commodity, but the question that needs
>> to be asked is "Should it be?", "How DID it become that in the
>> milieu of industrial society", and "Will there be any true social
>> benefit to *anyone* at all by it's continuation AS a commodity?"
>
> Why is "sex" always treated as so extra-special when considered in
> the context of the commodity form?
>
> Doug

A very good question... after all, "sex" is the easy part, as it's a biological urge we (mostly) all posess and act upon without "provocation".

I'd ask why the specific imagery that is used to "display" sex to the masses (almost alway in conjunction with violence) is so prevalent.... and would it really, REALLY change, if women controlled the medium. As if a corporate world of Carly Fiornas could or would mold modern American industrial society to a different form or ethical standard.

Leigh www.leighm.net

Have you seen my newsfeeds?: http://leighmdotnet.blogspot.com/ Got RSS?: http://www.furl.net/members/leighm/rss.xml