[lbo-talk] O'Reilly targets Jon Stewart as enabler of secularist anti-Xmas agenda

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Dec 8 15:02:35 PST 2005

Charles Brown wrote:

> ^^^^^^^^
> CB: Maybe we could get people to call O'Reilly a horrorist.

I'm a regular watcher of the Daily Show and I usually watch a few minutes of the Colbert Report. I'd watch more of the latter, but on most days I can't spend more than a half hour watching TV.

Jon Stewart's take on Bill O'Reilly's comments and the show in general offer an important lesson to lefties.

I don't think we are hearing it.

That lesson is that humor and ridicule are the best weapons against the rabid right. Not Normon Solomon articles. Jon Stewart and comedy and parody. Of course, lesson #2 is that we have to be in a position to make fun of idiots like Bill O'Reilly. That means access to networks, programming of our own, and more resources spent on the alternative media. One hurdle we face is the self-destructive attitude that many lefties have about pop culture. They look down at it, or at least hate it. I ran into one of those lefty grumps this morning, when some random person complained about the humor in Infoshop News polls. The current one is about Christmas.

And that's my r at nt for the day...

Chuck