[lbo-talk] Re: Ann Coulter shut up

Bitch | Lab info at pulpculture.org
Fri Dec 9 01:26:11 PST 2005

At 02:48 AM 12/9/2005, Daniel Davies wrote:
>perhaps we could merge this thread with the pro-porn feminism one and discuss
>how women become terribly unattractive when they espouse political views which
>differ from our own. I'm sure that the birds would have plenty to say on the
>subject, bless 'em.

At first, I chuckled. But, then, the flip side of that is: someone plain can become very attractive when they have political views you love.

It's not surprising is it? Men trade on that all the time. They're not necessarily fabulous, but if they have your kinda politics or your kinda _fill in the blank_ then they're hawt, hawt, hawt.

It's probably a good thing for most of us, who are probably not exactly movie stars, that someone will find us attractive for our intellect, wit, charm, humor. eh?

I think people are saying is: How can you let her looks override her personality? She has a mean heart, a nasty spirit. She doesn't appear to listen or actually interact with anyone, completely wrapped up in delivering the next line.

Obviously, this is going to shape the way we think of how attractive she is.

All in all, though, it's probably not helpful to reduce a woman to her looks, something we rarely, if ever, have done with a man on this list. I remember Angela being a little peeved years ago, back in 1997 or 8, when the list was a newborn. Men were dissing Madeleine Albright's looks as well.

Yoshie's looks and sexiness rating have been used as debate tactics. And, there've been comments about whether she'd be a good lay or not, something I've found pretty offensive. If it happened to men and women equally, that'd be one thing. But it does.

When she was singled out recently because she didn't put a photo up on the map, I saw it as, once again, another demeaning singling out of a woman who is required to show everyone what she looks like in order to.... Given that the same person intimated that Yoshie must be a bad lay a few years ago, I found it, literally, creepy.

Women have to deal with these things in a way that men don't. We've evidenced that in this conversation. It's not that men don't deal with it at all, but men aren't usually told, as Yoshie's been told on this list, that she couldn't possibly be a good lay because of the way she interacts with men on the list.

I give up on the sex discussions. Michael Pollak's last comments were a clear indication that it's pretty pointless. If an intelligent thoughtful man doesn't see the sexism and the naturilization of an arbitrary social structure in his explanations, it's a hopeless cause. There are some hills you die on. This one, because people like to intimate you must be a sicko for talking about it, isn't a hill to die on.

"Scream-of-consciousness prose stylings, peppered with sociological observations, political ruminations, and in-yore-face colloquial assaults."

-- Dennis Perrin, redstateson.blogspot.com

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org