[lbo-talk] Reevaluated Democide Totals for 20th C. and China

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 9 16:53:54 PST 2005

Typical. That book's a mere hatchet job. I read about 70 pages of it, looking at the footnotes, before I gave up in disgust. The book's thesis, sort of embarassing for modern historical scholarship, is that Mao was a Very Bad Man who more or less unilaterally did Very Bad Things, like not bathing or brushing his teeth and being responsible for mass murder on a scale that would leave the Black Death breathless with admiration. On their account -- I haven't done the analysis, but I bet this is true -- China would have no population problem at all today.

That's the way Rummell works. He simply picks the highest-end figure he can for Communist crimes from any published source, regardless of reliability. Im mu correspondance with him I carefully went through his sources for Russian deaths and explained to him why they were no good. He replied politely enough, but like tree that was standing by the water, he could not be moved.