[lbo-talk] Federal Air Marshal kills innocent ...

Arash arash at riseup.net
Sat Dec 10 09:14:36 PST 2005

This is a bit peripheral to the discussion but I don't think there is a large correlation between intelligence and bipolar disorder. Yes, there are many highly intelligent people with bipolar, but that is also the case with a number of mental disorders. I'm not sure there is an over-representation in this case. Also I think you have to be a little wary of mental health diagnoses of long-dead historical figures. To use your own set for an example, there is a lot disagreement over the kind of depression Lincoln suffered from. It might be an interesting form of historical/biographical analysis but mental health diagnoses are pretty trick when the individual is alive, it's a bit like pin-the-tail on the DSM-IV when they've long since passed.

Arash

BTW, if that guy was indeed diagnosed bipolar, I take exception to your charcacterisation

> This man would likely have trouble telling you who
> he was, let alone
> understanding something like implicit consent. You

People with bipolar are usually highly intelligent and motivated individuals, including some of the most famous like Lincoln, VanGogh, Virginia Woolf or Sylvia Plath. They usually know exactly what they are doing - it is just that their condition impairs their judgment. In the manic phase they may be working like mad (which is seen as a sign of creativity), or go on a shopping spree (which is seen as irresponsible) or engage in promiscuous sexual relations (which is seen as good by those relations, but bad by most others), or do some other creative, foolish or outrageous things. In the depressive phase, the crash landing is terrible to the point that people off themselves (cf. VanGogh, Wolf, and Plath). So if the guy killed at the Miami Airport was indeed bipolar, it would not at all suprise me if this was a form of suicide by air marshalls. This is, of course, but pure speculation - all I am arguing here is that bipolar people are not zombies not knowing what they are doing.

Wojtek _______________________ DISCLAIMER: Opinions posted by this writer to this forum are solely forms of literary criticism exercised as the First Amendment right, and do not necessarily reflect the author's views or attitudes toward real-life people, including other writers posting to this forum, groups of people, institutions, or events to which the critiqued texts may refer, either explicitly or implicitly. Any statement asserting or implying such views or attitudes on the basis of this writer's opinions posted to this forum is thus unfounded, and may be libelous. ________________________