[lbo-talk] License to Ride

Bitch | Lab info at pulpculture.org
Sat Dec 10 10:06:43 PST 2005

Since this is a tech topic some of you might have something to contribute, I'm passing it along. It's another scream-of-consiousness thing that I just had to get out after a couple of weeks of frustration with a client.

For the techies, the meat of it's at the end where I ask why explaining computing and networking technology is fraught with psychodrama in a way that other technologies aren't.

I think I'm going to clean it up and submit it as a contribution to an anthology on women who are attracted to boys' stuff. This story is pretty damn twisted!

License to Ride http://blog.pulpculture.org/2005/12/10/license-to-ride/

I've never been fond of the argument that you need a License to Ride the Internets™.

Too much government interference in everything anyway and it isn't the same thing as driving a car­where the consequences of bad driving are usually costly enough to the individual to make a dent. You screw up driving, you can kill yourself, not just other people. You can wreck your car, not just other people's cars and property. There's enough idiots that pay no heed to those consequences anyway, licenses and drivers' ed don't do much for them. On the Internets™, people are more like that minority of licensed drivers, mainly because the negative consequences (Hi Ed!) are spread out across millions of machines. A License to Ride the Internets™ is not likely to help us with the problem. [...]

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org