[lbo-talk] Ann Coulter shut up

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Dec 10 10:35:28 PST 2005

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>> Let me be a contrarian here. I think men are being unfair and
>> sexist when they substitute mockery of the looks of women like,
>> say, Madeleine Albright and Janet Reno for criticism of their
>> politics -- since they have never traded on their looks. It is also
>> unfair and sexist that men on the Right have made Jane Fonda an
>> object of their obsessive hatred, mainly because she was (and still
>> is) such a beautiful woman, and right-wing men can't forgive her for
>> punctuating their fantasy, even though what she said and did as an
>> anti-war activist was far from the most outrageous and accounts of
>> her activism show her to be a modest person who was trying to be
>> just one of the activists as opposed to wielding her glamor to grab
>> power in the anti-war movement.

Yes, and remember that her activism, such as it was included taking off her falsies and turning down the volume on her Vadim-induced Barbarella looks.

>> In the case of Ann Coulter, however, there is no denying that her
>> looks is part of her political package created by herself and others
>> on the Right, i.e., her selling point is that "a woman who looks
>> like _that_ is saying things like _these_." I supposed that all
>> beauties are conventional, but her alleged "beauty" comes close to
>> the empress's clothes: the Right tries to not only browbeat us into
>> accepting her politics as worth considering but compel us into
>> admiring her looks as "gorgeous." If some men object to the
>> inflation of both her politics and looks, is it necessarily sexism?

Very true. Most of the shots on her website are pinup girl shots and what they say is not only that "a woman who looks like _that_ is saying things like _these_" but that a woman with a very respectable education and male-size ambition should appeal to the general public primarily by means of her "looks."

Joanna