[lbo-talk] Sartre and Beauvoir

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 10 10:33:10 PST 2005

--- Louis Kontos <Louis.Kontos at liu.edu> wrote:

> Sartre was not ugly. Socrates, maybe.

Well, we have pictures of Sartre (no kodak moments for Socrates)and, while "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", it seems that many people (including Satre himself) find him physically very unattractive. Obviously the girl who threw up after kissing him found him literally "deguelasse".

Regardless,
> both knew that 'passion'
> cannot 'passive'.

Passion can be passive. How can you say otherwise? I am not saying it is necessarily always passive.

-Thomas

<<We are at such a point in mankind's evolution where changed conditions invalidate all our policies that have been so successful even in the recent past, and that presumably have constituted the ideal response to a presumably unchanging and unchangeable human condition. No wonder we are stupefied and confused-but our mistake is the same which many cultures have made before us, namely to force a rigid model upon a fluid reality.

Erich Jantsch - "Design for Evolution: Self-Organization and Planning in the Life of Human Systems"