[lbo-talk] Federal Air Marshal kills innocent ...

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Dec 10 11:04:34 PST 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Arash wrote:
>
> >This is a bit peripheral to the discussion but I don't think there is a
> >large correlation between intelligence and bipolar disorder.
>
> A psychologist friend of mine did some research in the 1980s showing
> that people of higher socioeconomic status were more likely to be
> diagnosed as bipolar, and those of lower SES with similar symptoms,
> as schizophrenic.

Doug is correct here I believe. I do believe, however, that there is a faint correlation between bipolar and creativity. If I remember correctly, it goes like this. The proportion of creative people among bipolar patients is NO higher than among the whole population, but there is a higher proportion of bipolar patients among creative people than among the population as a whole. Just what this means I do not know.

Also, bipolar disorder is the _only_ mental illness in which a genetic factor has been detected. That does NOT (Repeat, NOT) mean it is "inherited" or "genetic." Probably Miles could word this more precisely than I can.

Carrol