[lbo-talk] Ann Coulter shut up

The 30 Pound Snail Who Lives on Gar Lipow's Monitor the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 11:13:09 PST 2005

On 12/10/05, Bitch | Lab <info at pulpculture.org> wrote:
> At 12:46 PM 12/10/2005, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
> If some men object to the
> >inflation of both her politics and looks, is it necessarily sexism?
>

> Yoshie, you're forgetting how oppression works. And yes, it is sexism. They
> aren't objecting to her politics. They are objecting to her looks as a
> stand in for objecting to her politics.
>
> There's not much more to say in this space, we all know we don't agree with
> her. So, let's just attack her looks or question other men's commitment to
> their politics, because they find her attractive. If she were on the left,
> not one single man here would say a thing about it and they might get over
> the bony knees.
>
> The sexism comes in because it's seen as perfectly a-ok to talk this way.
> IT's normal. That's hegemony at work. And no chuck0, in the context of your
> other complaints about how ugly left women are, how they don't measure up
> to _your_ standards, I'm not buying it: this isn't just about the fact that
> she's a public person and, therefore, an object of ridicule on every
> dimension you can think of.

One other point. Is the men who knew it was wrong, but unlike Carrol and Dwayne, did not say anything, for example -- me. That is part of how these get advanced too. Someone in the group with privilege sees shit going on and does not say anything - or hints around the edges about how feeling affect percption of looks. Worse I think than men who just did not see anything wrong with it; that is ignorance; seeing it and knowing and not saying is worse. I'll do better in the future.

[Cause I know someone will bring it up, no the same thing does not apply to women; women get shit of this type all the time -while it is their right to call bullshit, it is not their responsibilty, cause you know they might have other things to do with their time.]

-- Please note: Personal messages should be sent to [garlpublic] followed by the [at] sign with isp of [comcast], then [dot] and then an extension of net