[lbo-talk] Ann Coulter shut up

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sat Dec 10 15:19:47 PST 2005

Bitch | Lab wrote:

> Her bony knees wouldn't have been brought up had she been a lefty.

Yep. And a corollary: the bony knees wouldn't be brought up if she were a rightwing male pundit, either. This thread is definitely an example of what rad feminists call the "male gaze". As Kel notes, the privileged group tends to take for granted that they are the subject of the gaze, not the object.

The only time I can think of someone bringing up the physical appearance of a man on this list as a response or reaction to a post is when people made some comments about DeLong being overweight. (That counterexample just emphasizes my point, because it's a precipitate of another form of discrimination (sizism)).

Miles