[lbo-talk] Sartre and Beauvoir

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sat Dec 10 17:06:02 PST 2005

Yoshie quoted from an "NYT" book review:

Algren put his finger on the gravest problem with Sartre and Beauvoir's doctrine: the notion of secondary people, of secondary or contingent love: "Anyone who can experience love contingently has a mind that has recently snapped," he wrote in Harper's Magazine, years after their relationship ended.

You can read about a lot of their relationships, with special focus on Simone and Nelson in her novel, THE MANDARINS. Of course, Simone had herself buried next to Sartre with the express wish that Nelson Algren's ring be left on her finger.

Apologies, if someone has already point this out. I'm way behind on reading my e-mail.

Regards, Mike B)

Read "The Perthian Brickburner": http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal