[lbo-talk] Richard Pryor, R.I.P.

Ira Glazer ira at yanua.com
Sun Dec 11 05:36:05 PST 2005

Richard Pryor was one of the few, if not the only, recent American popular culture figures who was imbued with genius.

His 'Live In Concert' (his first concert film from 1979) is probably the greatest performance I have ever seen (unfortunately, I didn't see it live. It's still available on DVD). We have a lost a truly great, great artist (even though he had been sick for years with MS, and was not really performing very much.)

A beautiful quote of his is from an old CBS news interview. When asked about the profanities in his routines, he responded, "What I find obscene is the President killing the people of South America in the name of fighting Communism".