[lbo-talk] Trash [was: Celebrity and false idols]

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 11 09:53:23 PST 2005

Walker:

Most of what passes for discussion involves people displaying their well-rehearsed canned opinions on commonplaces that have been ephemerally elevated by the spectacle apparatus.

Although you delivered your critique with all the fellow feeling exhibited by Achilles when he plunged the business end of his sword into Hector's neck and, to show how he really felt, dragged the broken body behind his chariot, I must admit you do - from where I sit - appear to have a point.

Indeed, I'm sure that I'm one of the most diligently working 'trash men', slinging useless text out into the void with all the skill of a monkey behind the wheel of a monster truck (in a more just world, I'd be sent to a re-education camp to learn gravitas and originality - and by "re-education camp" I mean a free trip to Tokyo and by "learn" I mean 'get a sexy job at I.G. Studios').

But then again...

It occurs to me that the situation you're describing is not unique to LBO but is, in fact, pretty much the way most humans talk to each other most of the time.

If that's the case then perhaps your criticisms are based upon a desire that this forum would be 'elevated' and therefore, what: more theoretically original? Less dependent upon news sources for topics of concern? More focused on practical information about the day-to-day workings of the world?

If you could have your way, what would you be reading here instead of the, as you wrote, "pap"?

.d.