[lbo-talk] A revolution is not a dinner party

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sun Dec 11 12:57:10 PST 2005

> A LONG time ago (when I was a high school student in
> the 70s) there was a PBS show that featured a similar
> them. Each week featured a roundtable of 4 or 5
> historical characters (well, actors playing them) and
> they would discuss certain items.
> Karl Marx was on one of these programs...I believe
> Attila the Hun was one of the other "guests" that
> evening. I dont remember who the other guests were.
> Sounded like a good idea but it was pretty ridiculous
> as I recall.

"Meeting of Minds" with Steve Allen. There was a great parody of this on "Saturday Night Live" in the 80s -- figures like Jefferson Davis, Joan of Arc and Ghengis Khan try to connect, but each culture and political setting is so different that it leads to confusion and bewilderment among the panelists. Then, a floor director comes on to tell them that a Wall Street show needs the studio, and that they have to leave. So here are all these grand historical figures, thrown out of a TV studio, muttering to themselves, wondering what the hell just happened.

Dennis