[lbo-talk] Trash [was: Celebrity and false idols]

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Dec 11 17:03:57 PST 2005

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> It occurs to me that the situation you're describing is not unique to
> LBO but is, in fact, pretty much the way most humans talk to each
> other most of the time.

And so it is. The thing about lbo is that since a fairly small nucleus has been "talking" for at least the three years I've been here, we're well past the canned speech stage, and on to the "I better say something new and different" stage or at least "something interesting" stage. Now Dwayne is the king of metaphor on this list. I had delusions about wresting that spot from him, but then I read the "I'm as vain as a cat sitting on a golden Pahrao's lap," (or something like that) post and I knew I was out of my league.

So, I'll settle for the cryptic elegance chair. I certainly haven't got Doug's wit, Kell's idiom, or Chuck G's visceral contempt for the shit at large...so why try.

But the thing I like most about this list is 1) the relative absence of rant 2) the relative absence of authorities 3) the attempt on the part of most to engage in discussion rather than masturbation.

I learn things every day.

Joanna