[lbo-talk] MaxSpeak, You Listen!: CORY SI, TOOKIE NO

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Dec 13 13:55:50 PST 2005

Sean Johnson Andrews wrote:

> > Tookie Williams last words in the "chamber" according to an AP reporter.
> > "You are killing an innocent man."
> >

> According to the reporters at the news conference afterwards, most of which
> was broadcast this morning on Democracy Now, these weren't Tookie's words.
> He didn't say anything in the chamber. That statement was made by three of
> his supporters, after the death was confirmed, as they left the chamber.
> They would all then mention that, upon hearing this, the step mother of one
> of the victims started crying after having shown no emotion up to that
> point.

He wasn't innocent; he was black. And as a relative of a Pontiac Prison guard put it to me, in so many words, over 25 years ago, We have to get some of them. That is, it did not matter in the least whether those convicts accused of the murders were the guilty ones; it only mattered that they were convicts and black, and as long as some black convicts were punished, who cared whether they were the guilty ones.

Carrol