[lbo-talk] Re: death penalty

Alexander Nekvasil a8504902 at unet.univie.ac.at
Tue Dec 13 21:56:25 PST 2005

Wojtek Sokolowski <wsokol52 at yahoo.com> writes:

> It is quite clear that death penalty fulfills some deep emotional
> need for closure, safety and certitude which the opposing argument
> do not even begin to address.

One could begin to address it by looking at the meaning of "closure" in systems theory. But I won't do that. Instead, I want to introduce you to what my favorite anarchist, Gordon Fitch of lbo-talk fame, opined on that matter: Support for capital punishment, he said, originates in the desire to have a death-dealing master.

cheers AN