[lbo-talk] contingent foundations

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 23:14:59 PST 2005

This is just a stupid inflation of a bogus point. The United States is not at war to inflict any "universal" on Iraq. That's the Bush rhetoric. We're there to protect our interests and that is all we mean to do. To change Iraq was certainly going to take the forcible dismantling of the military regime because those are the terms dictators like Saddam Hussein always set. That's why we hire people like him. They're dependable.

Democracy is not an ethnocentric universal, it's an arithmetic one - one person, one vote - and before you have democracy you have to have the rule of law. There was no law that we recognized as valid in Iraq, first and foremost because our democratically elected leaders made that US policy since the Clinton administration, second, because there weren't any democratic structures in Iraq giving the laws there legitimacy. Saddam Hussein was entirely reasonable, even unexceptionally so - just a run-of-the-mill gangster turned dictator. So no Arabs existed outside the realm of reason. Again, that is just nonsensical right-wing rhetoric.

America did not "abrogate the democratic principles of political sovereignty and free speech". We went to war. This is perfectly legal under our constitution and we did it according to process of law with any number of votes and all powers of the legislature intact. No suppression of free speech was necessary to get the authority to go to war and no significant source of free speech was closed off by any means of government action. Intimidating rhetoric is not unconstitutional. I certainly don't defend it, but let's get grounded here.

Finally, the very idea that some "universal" justifies this action or that is nothing short of neo-religion and is not the product of serious legal thinking. Constitutions and laws are not made of universals. They are agreements built upon agreements built upon agreements and they are knowable and analyzable in detail if one is not, as Butler seems to be, too lazy to be bothered with it.

Of course any "universal" is "a site of permanent political contest". That is the fundamental idea of the Anglo-American legal system. "Permanent political contest" is the Enlightenment principle the American system operates on. All Butler is doing is removing us from the real terms of the political contest with this horseshit.

Most governments lack the huge set of agreements (on terms, standards, definitions, principles of procedure) that the American and British systems are based on. Certainly there are no Arab governments that have such a rich, modern legal history, hence the many references back to Sharia law. It's reasonable to assume that they, and all nations, will build up a set of laws that accomplishes what our system does and it is also nearly certain that those laws will refer to ours. There is no particular need to re-invent Common Law because it's "Western". It reflects the work of generations of reasonable people trying to find reasonable bases for resolving disputes and it works. It's an open, changeable, adaptable system. It's not a "hegemony". It's a bunch of books.

Are Roberts' Rules of Order a "hegemony" An "absolute"? No, of course not. They are a reasonable way to conduct a meeting or deliberation.

peace

boddi