[lbo-talk] Australia's race riots: Mundine weighs into race debate

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Wed Dec 14 10:22:15 PST 2005

Mike Ballard

Jenny and I saw the boxing match which Mundine refers to at our local working class pub in Perth. Most people there were Green supporters, but I think this has more to do with Danny being a home boy-- Anthony Mundine is from "over East". Perth is in Western Australia. Still, I'd say that a lot of people are happy *not* to like Mundine because of his perceived "race". My next door neighbour isn't one of them and I must say, most of the Australians I know aren't. Lez, my neighbour, was angry about the bottle/garbage pelting Mundine got as he left the ring. He said a few guys at work thought Mundine deserved it. Lez disagreed.

Mundine had just knocked out his opponent in the third round and had to be hurried out of Challenge Stadium back to his dressing room. Green won his match too, on points after ten rounds--both of these guys are great fighters, IMO. He was sitting in the crowd watching the fight, but looked distressed as Mundine left under a hail of garbage thrown by a few "yabbos" in the stands.

------------------------------------------------ This reminds of me of when Marvin Hagler demolished Alan Minter in 1980 to win the Middleweight title. Minter was a stylish British middleweight, but he was no match for Marvelous Marvin. When Hagler TKO'd Minter in London the crowd went nuts, and began pelting Hagler and his handlers with bottles, cans, trash and everything else they could get their hands on. At one point, Hagler had to crouch on the canvas and his corner men shielded him with their bodies as they debris rained down. It was a pretty ugly scene, and security never did get the crowd under control.