[lbo-talk] struttin'

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Dec 14 10:33:35 PST 2005

joanna wrote:

> I think the only convincing argument one could make with respect to
> Butler would be to take one of her passages and rewrite it in clear,
> lucid prose. I briefly thought of doing that with the "universals"
> passage that you posted, but I don't have the energy or the time. I
> didn't think it was her obfuscatory worst. I thought it was relatively
> OK for academic prose.

Back in June of 1999, in the 4 day intervals between crippling headaches, I more or less did that with the Introduction to her Bodies that Matter (which is the source of the passage that Doug posts to the list once or twice a year. I filled three legal pads, and if I remember correctly I provided several alternate paraphrases for several passage. The pads are around the house someplace, but until someone on the left uses Butler to argue against some important question of strategy or principle, I don't think it's worthwhile digging either the legal pads or my copy of Butler out.

Carrol