[lbo-talk] Law Again (Was Villion on Executions)

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Dec 14 14:16:30 PST 2005

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> What I wanted to say is that
>there is no such thing as a society based solely on consensual
>participation, without some form of formal or informal rules of conduct,
>some form of authority that makes decisions in cases of conflicting
>interests, and some form of sanctions against those who break those rules.

Well, now you're getting much fuzzier.

It seems to me that all our law really is, is a combination of culturally derived norms (monogamy) and arbitrary add ons that represent the interest of capital and the state.

I am very uncomfortable with the deep devotion to abstract rules -- Everybody's read Kafka's Trial, right?

Joanna