[lbo-talk] Meditations on UNIX

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Dec 15 08:55:48 PST 2005

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

>There's much truth to this, in a general sense; that
>is, the true pedigree of MS DOS is an OS named CP/M
>(Control Program for Microcomputers)
>
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP/M>
>
>and CP/M's command interface design concepts were
>drawn from the common stream of ideas that fed into
>the creation and continued modification of UNIX.

Ah, my first computer - a Vector Graphic, which I bought in 1981. The company was run by Lore Harp <http://www.hbs.edu/leadership/database/leaders/359/>, a German entrepreneur who, after Vector's collapse, went on to develop a device that allows women to pee standing up <http://www.drtomorrow.com/lessons/lessons8/45.html>. I'm sure there's some rich material about the phallus and capitalism there, but I don't have the time to develop it today.

Doug