[lbo-talk] Iraqi Independence In Action: Kurds Drill for Oil without Baghdad

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 15 09:08:51 PST 2005

--- boddi satva <lbo.boddi at gmail.com> wrote:

> What do people here think of Kurdish independence.

I don't know enough about the Kurdish situation to say, but in my opinion 90% of independence movements in the present era are a stupid, stupid idea, generally based on juvenile nationalism and myths of ethnic superiority, that leave the newly independent country worse off than it was. (Cf. Chechnya, Georgia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan*).

*Technically the stans didn't have much in the way of independence movements, but the end result of getting thrown out of a country is much the same as voluntarily opting out of it.)

Nu, zayats, pogodi!