[lbo-talk] Orhan Pamuk - Why Butler is stupid

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 09:36:27 PST 2005

The notion that this government makes any net effort in the developing world to promote democracy is laughable. Turkey is not even terribly repressive compared to our other "friends". Russia is not just being allowed, but encouraged to slide into authoritarianism (and Chris, it's not just the Chechens that Moscow is beating up). The chimerical construction, accepted among the chattering classes of media and politics, that Bush is fighting a war for democracy is assinine. The only valid critique is to point out that this nation ALWAYS puts its interests first and democracy in other countries is clearly well down our list of interests. The Bush claim is a lie and you shouldn't engage it on its own terms as if it were true.

boddi