[lbo-talk] Villon on executions

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 15 12:21:27 PST 2005

Justin wrote:

>The problem with the death penalty in our society is that
>it is mainly an excuse to kill poor black men for the
>gratification of middle class whites and the advantage
>of cynical politicians.

And who gets killed apparently depends on who they killed. (the first sentence here refers to the 12 executions in California since 1992). :

[...]

My listeners were surprised to learn that the majority of those we Californians have put to death have been white. But they were astonished when I added this statistic: Among the 27 victims of these 12 condemned prisoners, not a single one was African-American! (Five were Asian; three were Latinos; and 19 were white.)

The shameful truth is that had Mr. Williams' four victims been black, the overwhelming likelihood is that he would still be alive today, one of the many anonymous convicted murderers who occupy our state prisons.

The fact that not a single person has been executed in this state for killing an African-American is consistent with studies across the country that show the death penalty is reserved primarily for those who kill white people. The California study, "The Impact of Legally Inappropriate Factors on Death Sentencing for California Homicides, 1990-'99," found that 80 percent of executions in California were for killers of whites, though non-Hispanic whites make up just 47 percent of all Californians, according to the 2000 U.S. Census. Those who kill whites are more than four times more likely to be sentenced to death than those who kill Latinos, and over three times more likely to be sentenced to death than those who kill African-Americans. [...]