[lbo-talk] Hustling The Left

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Dec 15 15:10:33 PST 2005

Hustler's circulation is said to be currently about 500,000 (down from the peak of 2 million [Barry M. Horstman, "Larry Flynt," <http:// www.cincypost.com/living/1999/flynt112299.html>]). What's the proportion of 500,000 Hustler readers who actually _read_ words on its pages, as opposed to just looking at pix and masturbating? Probably something like 1%, and only a small proportion of that 1% get to a particular article in the whole issue. If Christian wants to reach the masses, I say he should try to get on Oprah. Even only with regard to attempts to reach GIs, it makes sense to write for The Nation, CounterPunch, and the like than Hustler and make sure his writings are available widely on the Net -- after all, today's GIs have access to the Internet, and most of them probably get their porn as well as reading materials there (which probably explains the decline in the Hustler circulation.).

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>