[lbo-talk] Hustling The Left

Bitch | Lab info at pulpculture.org
Thu Dec 15 18:52:54 PST 2005

At 09:25 PM 12/15/2005, W. Kiernan wrote:

>I kinda doubt that you ever hung out with lots of ill-educated young
>single construction-worker types who have copies of Hustler and Playboy
>and Penthouse lying on the coffee-table in their apartments. I have; you
>happen to be incorrect. Eight out of ten these guys read _each and every
>article_ in those magazines, with their pupils unnaturally dilated
>too. I'm talking about guys who have never once read a book, neither
>willingly nor under duress, in their entire adult lives.
>
>Fact. I'm sitting there drinking beer, buzzing, and suddenly they start
>spouting off about the thermal efficiency of shale oil or the CIA's
>involvement in the dirty war in El Salvador or some such esoteric
>topic. When I say, "You're kidding!" they reply, "No shit, it's right
>here..." (leafing through Hustler past dismal pictorials of faux-lesbians
>with rouge on their thingies) "...yeah here it is, read it yourself, man."

Fortuitously, someone happened to send me a link to this. In fact, I'm almost positive we've covered that stats ground before, but pornography tends to be consumed by people who are college educated, etc. etc.:

We'd have to use this particular study with caution, of course, since it's asking about viewing porn movies.

Latest meditation on porn wars: http://blog.pulpculture.org/2005/12/16/free-with-100-gerber-labels/

plus, a boatload of other linkages to things taht have come across my desk this week:

Mouthy women kill their husbands http://blog.pulpculture.org/2005/12/16/why-is-that/

Black Commentator's Ode to Richard Pryor http://blog.pulpculture.org/2005/12/16/ode-to-richard-pryor/

Now people make their own ads for google, just for "the love": http://blog.pulpculture.org/2005/12/15/bake-your-own-bread-and-circuses-update/

The Netherlands version of the Cleavers, complete with cross-dressing son, promote MS security:

http://blog.pulpculture.org/2005/12/15/cleaversnl-promote-microsoft-security/

"Scream-of-consciousness prose stylings, peppered with sociological observations, political ruminations, and in-yore-face colloquial assaults."

-- Dennis Perrin, redstateson.blogspot.com

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org