Racist, Reactionary, Evil, Hateful, and Loathsome (Was Re: [lbo-talk] Villon on executions)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 16 09:10:31 PST 2005

The solution, short of abolishing the death penalty, is to prohibit the death penalty in jurisdictions where the racist discrepency continues. It's not that dissimilar from banning cops from racially profiling drivers, Normally cops don't need a reason to pull you over, but where statistics show that there is racial profiling going on, they do -- we had a case like that in a northern suburb a few years ago. Really, this is not hard. If the death penalty is being administered in a demonstrably racist way in general, and it incontrovertably is, then it cannot be administered at all unless the racist administration is ended.

Actually I don't think it is opponents of the racist adminbistration of the death penalty who have an obligation to fix the problem. Let advocates of the death penalty do it. All we have to say is, if the state is going to kill people, it is illegal to do it all if it is being done in a racist way in general. There is precedent for this; back when the S.Ct overruled all existing death penalty statutes in the early 70s, see Furman v. Georgia, they did because statistically, its admninistration was statistically freakish and capricious. The states then tried various devices to reeduce the element of caprice, and the Court, in Gregg v. Georgia, finally approved the current two-stage liability and sentencing system where, in the latter, all mitigating and aggravating circumstances and other considerations can be brought to bear.

Short answer: it's not _our_ problem how to save the death penalty.