[lbo-talk] Hustling The Left

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 06:49:03 PST 2005

http://www.northwestern.edu/magazine/northwestern/spring2002/features/allthathecanbe/
>...Moskos served with the Army's combat engineers in Germany as a
company clerk. He loved the camaraderie with the other enlisted men. "I remember in basic training at night when the lights would go out, people would regale each other with the day's events, especially the black troops. I would laugh until the tears would come to my eyes. And the black leader would yell: 'Moskos, you got that in your book?' Because even then, there was the idea that I would be writing a book on the military."

Though he did have a black roommate at Princeton, the Army was his first experience rubbing elbows with a cross-section of African Americans. His book, All That We Can Be: Black Leadership and Racial Integration the Army Way (Basic Books, 1997), written with John Sibley Butler (G74) and endorsed by Colin Powell as "magnificent," suggests that integration in the Army is a good model for society in general.

"The issue," says the professor, "is not white racism, but black opportunity. The Army is the only place in American society where whites are routinely bossed around by blacks."