[lbo-talk] leftist coca farmer in lead

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Dec 19 07:42:44 PST 2005

Doug:

See also http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/guides/456900/456942/html/nn1page1.stm

That is probably the best outcome of his presidency - running the empire aground. No Democrat would ever do it.

The concept of the leader breaking the empire from within by leading it to lunatic military adventure reminds me of a certain protagonist from the Romantic period in the Polish literature - Konrad Wallenrod, a Lituanian child seized by the Teutonic order, rising withing the order's ranks to the leadership position and finally destroying it by reckless military adventure. http://www.nhh.no/geo/gib/gib1998/gib98-2/node3.html

Poetic justice for the empire?

Wojtek