[lbo-talk] Hustling The Left

Michael Hoover hooverm at scc-fl.edu
Mon Dec 19 17:00:51 PST 2005

John Lacny wrote:
>Michael Hoover writes:
>>poverty draft exists simultaneously with 'better' elements,
>>two are not mutually exclusive

>Whoa, Michael, are you saying that we should all be able to keep two
>or even more ideas in our heads at the same time? That's pretty
>badass. It's a wonder you haven't been branded an ill-tempered
>killjoy for pointing it out. One-sided superficiality is so much
>more fun, not to mention more conducive to the bullshit
>point-scoring that passes for "discussion" on this topic and others.

Except that in this case, the concepts are pretty much mutually exclusive. Doug <<<<<>>>>>

perhaps you have aversion to phrase 'poverty draft', however, military's own demographic data indicates that about half of recruits are from 'lower middle class' (now there's a precise concept) to 'poor' households, rural poverty is a factor given that almost 50% of recruits are from poor rural areas, all of top 20 counties for recruiting have lower than national median incomes, 12 have higher poverty rates, 16 are 'non-metropolitan' (another great neo-social science term)...

so call the military 'an opportunity' for some folks living in places where there ain't many opportunities, of course, as war drags on and death/ injury rates increase, some of the same folks who perceive military as opportunity recognize that immediate/near future 'opportunity' may be to have their ass shot off, so their numbers are dropping off a bit...

one way military is dealing with recruitment problems is to 'accept' less qualified enlistees, in general, socio-economic circumstances of such folks is likely to be less than enviable, in fact, military's own analysis suggests that good number of 'less qualified' recruits perceive no options beyond enlistment...

call it what you want to... mh

-------------------------------------------------------------- Please Note: Due to Florida's very broad public records law, most written communications to or from College employees regarding College business are public records, available to the public and media upon request. Therefore, this e-mail communication may be subject to public disclosure.