[lbo-talk] poverty draft

J. Tyler jptyler at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 20 06:17:53 PST 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

>J Tyler wrote:
>
> >I have no qualms about saying I stand up for victims as against our
> >victimizers. What is gained by denying that people are injured by
> >the actions of others in real and measurable ways? Whose agenda does

> >that advance?
>
> For one, when put this way it sounds like the rheetoric of losers.
> What ever happened to the spirit of "we are many, they are few," or
> "we created it, let's take it over"?

I think that's a great spirit, but for it to have any meaning and to be rooted in any concept of justice, the "we" must *first* understand themselves to be victims of some oppression and the "they" the victimizers and oppressors. Otherwise that spirit is no different than a politically unconscious gang or mob mentality, and people--specifically the working class--will not be motivated to take action if they do not know that they have been or are being wronged or are victims of systematic theft and injustice. One can only be of the mindset that something somebody else legally owns and controls is rightfully his if he believes it to have been wrongly taken from him and the law an abettor to that theft.